Thursday, September 3, 2009

Thai Red Curry Chicken



I LOVE Thai curry. But I haven't been able to find a good curry in quite some time. I used to find it at my old favorite haunt, but after a TERRIBLE experience, I decided to part ways. Since then, I've found a few awesome places for Pad Thai, but no decent curries. Time to take matters into my own hands! After a quick stop at the grocery store for supplies, I was ready to tackle Red Curry Chicken.

*Note- This recipe is actually figure friendly (a first for this blog!). I'm sure that more authentic Curry dishes use full fat coconut milk, and all sorts of other goodness. But, I've chosen to go with a lighter dish. Not only will I be more likely to make it again in the future, but I won't gain a few pounds eating it!

Thai Red Curry Chicken

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
2 tsp olive oil
1 c. onion, chopped
1 c. green pepper chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
3/4 tsp salt
13 1/2 can light coconut milk
1 tsp. Red Curry Paste (available at most grocery stores in the Asian aisle)
1 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp. basil
1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp. corn starch
1 tbsp water
cooked Jasmine Rice

Heat oil over medium high and cook chicken. Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Add onions, green pepper, and garlic to pan. Sautee for 3-5 minutes, until onions are translucent.

In a bowl, combine coconut milk with curry paste and whisk until smooth. Add coconut mixture to the pan, along with the chicken, lime juice, basil, and cilantro. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Allow curry to cook for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine water with cornstarch in a bowl. Once curry is finished cooking, add cornstarch mixture to the curry and bring to a boil. Cook the curry for another minute, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens.

Serve over Jasmine Rice.

No comments: