Thursday, April 15, 2010

Lemon Butter Chicken

I bought too many lemons. I don't know why I decided I needed a whole bag of them, but I did. So now, I have a ton of lemons in my fridge. And, while I always use fresh lemon juice, that's still a lot of lemons. I decided to try to make something for dinner that would use them up. I didn't have capers, or want to bother frying up chicken, so piccata was out. Enter: lemon butter chicken.

I didn't have a recipe or anything, just an idea that I wanted a quick chicken dinner (with lemons). I sliced my chicken into strips to cut the cooking time and cooked them in a pan with 1 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp butter. Once the chicken was mostly cooked, I pulled it out of the pan and set it aside. I added 2 minced cloves of garlic and the juice and zest of two lemons to the pan, and let that cook for a few minutes. I knew I wanted the sauce to be silky, so I then added a few additional tsp. of butter, one at a time, until I got to the desired consistency. I added a few slices of lemon for color, salt and pepper, and a pinch of herbs de provence. I then returned the chicken and the juices that had collected on the plate back into the sauce and let it all cook for another minute or so, until the chicken was warm. I served it with mashed potatoes and corn.

The chicken was really tasty. I was afraid that the acidity of the lemon would not play well with the amount of butter I added, but I was very happy with the outcome. All in all, it took me about 25 minutes to make the chicken. A very quick and tasty weeknight dinner. And, the hubby has already asked me to make it again-Success!


No comments: