Monday, April 26, 2010

Adventures in Crock Pot Cooking: Baked Potato Soup

Since I'm still new to the Crockpot world, I decided to use an actual recipe for this soup. After much research, I came across a new (to me) food blog: crockpot365. This site was totally helpful! I made the baked potato soup as directed, and it was really, really good. One note: it made a TON of soup. We ate a few bowls each over dinner and lunches, gave some to my father-in-law, and still have about 1 1/2 quarts left in the freezer. So, before you make this soup, clear out some room in your fridge and/or freezer! We topped ours with crispy bacon pieces, but I'm sure you could get creative with toppings. Enjoy!

Thanks to Stephanie for this tasty recipe!

Baked Potato Soup
from Crockpot365

5 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced into 1 inch chunks
1 small onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 quarts chicken broth
2- 8oz packages of cream cheese

Put the diced potatoes into the slow cooker. Add onion, garlic, seasonings, and the chicken broth. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. The potatoes should be fork tender. Using an immersion blender (or a potato masher), mash the potatoes until smooth. Crumble in both packages of cream cheese, stir, and put the lid back on. Cook on high for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted (this took me about 45 minutes). Garnish and serve!

No comments: