Thursday, April 23, 2009

Want S'more Brownies?

Ham Porter: Hey, Smalls, you wanna s'more?
Smalls: Some more of what?
Ham Porter: No, do you wanna s'more?
Smalls: I haven't had anything yet, so how can I have some more of nothing?
Ham Porter: You're killing me Smalls! These are s'more's stuff! Alrite now pay attention. First you take the graham, you stick the chocolate on the graham. Then you roast the 'mallow. When the 'mallows flaming... you stick it on the chocolate. Then cover with the other end. Then you scarf. Kind of messy, but good!


I love The Sandlot. Great movie. One of my favorites. It reminds me of my childhood, when my brother and I would ride our bikes around to meet up with our neighborhood friends. A pickup game of baseball was usually on the agenda. We all watched baseball, we played baseball, we grew up on baseball.

So, naturally, any movie centered around baseball was a must-see. Sure they weren't all great movies (Rookie of the Year?), but I still can't go a week without a few lines from The Sandlot or Major League. (The poor hubby- he's not as much of a baseball guy. So, most of my references go unnoticed) And hello?? Can anyone hear "This Magic Moment" and not think of Squints and his kiss with Wendy Peffercorn??

I've probably seen The Sandlot a few dozen times by now. It was on the other night, and I got to thinking about S'mores. Growing up in South Florida, there weren't many chances to make these delicious treats. Most of the time, they were made over the BBQ after the parents were done making dinner. Since I wasn't going to break out the BBQ just to satisfy my craving, I decided to make a s'more flavored treat.

Now, I will admit that I didn't make these brownies using my regular (cherished) brownie recipe. I used a box. That's right- I used a forbidden boxed mix. I didn't have a lot of time left in the evening after the trip to the grocery store for marshmallows and graham crackers. So, I piced up a box of brownie mix and decided to just jazz it up a bit. Next time, I'll be sure to go back to my recipe. I like homemade brownies so much better!

I broke up the graham crackers into crumbs using my mini food processor (love that thing!) and added 1 c. of the crumbs into the batter. Once the batter was set in the baking dish, I covered the top with marshmallows. The marshmallows browned nicely in the oven.

The brownies tasted good, but not like s'mores. The taste of the graham crackers was not apparent. I think next time, I will make a graham cracker crust to bake the brownie mix on. That way it will be more like a s'more. Without the graham cracker taste, it just tasted like brownies with marshmallows on top. It lacked purpose. They still tasted good, but I will definitely be giving this idea another try.

No comments: