Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Mmm....pizza.....

Our herb garden is out of control. The herbs grow at such a rapid rate, I can barely keep up! Over the weekend, we noticed that the basil plant was so full, it was starting to lean. I picked a whole bowl full of basil, and the plant is still 1/2 full!



Smelling that fresh basil led to a whole list of ideas. After a very busy weekend, I wasn't in the mood to experiment. Instead, I made pizza. My favorite pizza dough recipe is here. I cut my batch of dough into two pieces. I like to make my pizzas smaller so they cook faster (or so I think, at least). I don't own a pizza stone, so I just dust turn a large baking sheet upside down and dust it with cornmeal.

The thing I love about pizza is that it is so easy to make, and I can usually do it without a special trip to the grocery store. YUMMY!

Pizza Sauce:
1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp. olive oil
dash of oregano
a few leaves of fresh basil

Brown garlic in olive oil. Add tomato sauce and herbs. Allow sauce to simmer for at least 15 minutes.


Assembly:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll out dough on a well floured surface. Transfer dough to the underside of a cookie sheet/cake pan that has been dusted with cornmeal. Bake for 5 minutes or until the dough has set up. Remove from the oven and add toppings (I used sauce, diced tomatoes, fresh mozz, and fresh basil). Brush olive oil onto the edges of the crust and return to the oven. Bake until the crust is golden, about 8-10 minutes.

Enjoy!







No comments: