Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Roasted Vegetable Puree

I made this soup about a month or two ago and never got around to posting it. It was one of those lovely fall days, where the South Florida weather was actually nice, and my local supermarket had quite a variety of fresh produce. (Those of you that know me know that I really dislike buying supermarket veggies)

I cut up and liberally coated my veggies with salt, pepper, olive oil, and a bit of thyme and rosemary from my garden. I roasted them at 420° until a fork easily went through the vegetable. Since I had different types of vegetables that would take various amounts of time to roast, I made sure to put similar vegetables together in each pan.

The first pan contained:
  • about 5 parsnips, peeled and chopped
  • about 7 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 of a large butternut squash, peeled and chopped



The second pan contained:
  • 1 sweet potato, chopped
  • 3 zuchinni, sliced
  • 4 yellow squash, sliced



The third pan contained asparagus.




Once all of the vegetables were roasted and cooled, I blended them with a bit of chicken stock in my food processor (a blender would work if you have one- I don't). Once all of the vegetables were blended, I brought the puree to a boil, and adjusted my seasonings. At this point, I added about 2 cups of chicken stock to mine, as I like a thinner consistency, but you could leave yours thicker if you prefer. Once everything was warm, I divided the puree into containers and froze half of the recipe for later.


The soup was very yummy, especially in the colder weather. Also, I gave some to a friend with a baby, and the baby LOVED it. Good way to get in all of those important nutrients! Not the best picture, but you get the idea!

No comments: