Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Oops...

I made two soups last week. Of course, you wouldn't know it, as I forgot to take pictures. I stayed home last Tuesday to wait for the plumber (only a few months in and I'm starting to really experience what being a homeowner is all about!). In order to pass the time, I decided to roast a butternut squash I had bought. This turned into roasted butternut squash soup. Tasty. I had never made it before, but i will again. (But next time, I will make it when others are around. I found out later that night that Joe HATES butternut squash. Which left me with a lot of soup to eat!)

By this time, the plumber still had yet to arrive. So, I made a potato leek soup. I used red potatoes, as my mother had dropped off a bag a few days prior. But, I bet it would be just as good with any other variety. The leek soup was lovely. And even better, Joe liked it too. I was able to freeze the leftover potato leek soup, so I'll add a picture when we have it. Until then, sorry!

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

1 large butternut squash, halved
1-2 c. chicken stock
1 tsp. olive oil
nutmeg
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place the halved squash on a baking sheet and drizzle with oil. Roast until the squash is fork tender, about an hour. Take the squash out of the oven and let it cool. Once cool, spoon out the squash (not the pulp) into the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste. Slowly add chicken stock until you reach the desired consistency. Place mixture in a pot and warm.

*I have also heard of people chopping the squash ahead of time and roasting the pieces. I'm sure that either method works fine.


Potato and Leek Soup
1 large head of leeks, washed and chopped
2 c. potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 quart chicken broth
1 c. whole milk
1 c. heavy cream
4 Tbsp. butter
salt and pepper


Melt butter over medium-low heat in a heavy bottomed pot. Add leeks and a pinch of salt. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add potatoes and broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Allow soup to simmer until potatoes are soft, about 45 minutes to an hour. Remove pot from heat and blend with an immersion blender or a regular blender in batches. Return soup to pot and add cream and milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: